Summer School | Marvão 2018
The Serra Henriques Foundation is the portuguese partner of the 2018 Summer School of the International Network for Traditional Architecture (INTBAU) that will take place, for the first time, in Portugal. The village of Marvão will serve as the stage for this initiative, which will have the participation of eight European and American universities.
To stimulate the participation of the portuguese universities, the Foundation offers eight grants to students from eight schools. For 2018: Beira Interior (UBI), Coimbra, Évora, Gallaecia, ISCTE, Lusíada, Porto and Minho e Trás-os-Montes (UTAD).
This initiative is supported by Richard H. Driehaus Charitable Lead Trust, Rafael Manzano Prize and the local authority of Marvão.
- This program will take place in the Marvão area, in the Alto Alentejo Portuguese region.
- Local traditional urbanism, architecture and building details will be studied in order to create a preservation and new traditional building manual for the area.
- During the last days upgrade proposals for different public places of the town will be designed, using the manual previously developed as a guideline for them.
- Hand drawing and measuring buildings will be the main activity to be developed each day.
- Experts in local vernacular architecture and building techniques will be lecturing on diverse related topics.
- There will be trips around this region and some workshops and building sites will be visited too.